Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Importance of Community

When choosing a senior living community many factors come into play: environment, dining, and activities just to name a few. But most importantly, it’s the quality of the associates who work there. The bond between associates and residents is one of the most important things to look for when looking for the right senior community for you or a loved one.

We encourage you to tour a community and pay special attention to how the associates interact with the residents and how the residents interact with the associates. The associates and residents being on a first name basis with each other is a very important thing to look for in any community. Also look for associates having intimate knowledge of the resident’s health and dietary needs. This shows that the residents are not simply looked upon as a number but rather a friend or in some cases like a family member.

Great relationships are what generates a true sense of community. Take a look at what some of our Woodland Terrace residents have to say about an associate that has touched their life!


Ms. Sylvia Hart writes about how Associate Tom Gioeni made her feel at home when first moving to Woodland Terrace:

"Why do I appreciate Tom? Five months ago as a new resident, I was feeling strange and uncomfortable going to the dining room. It was scary, all these strange people staring at the new lady. Where to sit and with whom? Along comes Tom, my new dining room delight. He made me comfortable and sat me where I would enjoy myself. His smile made me feel that everything would not be so bad. Since then I have found him to be the most willing, going out of his way to make sure my wants are addressed. Tom is someone who will go out of his way to please everyone when there is a shortage of help. Tom is also the first to pitch in himself to do the work of whoever is not available at the time.Since we spend 4 hours a day in the dining room, it is wonderful to have someone care about my feelings and wants. In this day and age it is most unusual to find a person to who will go out of his way for the comfort and pleasure of those he is in charge of. Too often people like my friend are taken for granted and not taken notice of in direct fashion. Tom deserves more than accolades and thanks!"

Ms. Sylvia Hart

Ms. Nancy Serozi is the daughter of resident Ms. Jeanne Miller. She wrote to us to share her experience with Trudy, our Wellness Director.
"Trudy’s qualities:
Approachable
Gives me her full attention
Responds to my requests with action and follow-up
Professional yet compassionate
Strives for excellence
Works long hours
Creative
Thorough
Reasonable
Listens well
Welcomes feedback from me
Valuable asset for Woodland Terrace
Understands the needs of residents with Alzheimer’s disease
Extra help story: As I was leaving Woodland Terrace one afternoon, Trudy spoke to me and asked how things were going. I shared with her that getting my mom to do necessary daily hygiene was becoming an uncomfortable battle. Her response was simple. “Nancy, talk to ComforCare and hire some help.” She said it with such conviction that I immediately did. Unfortunately, getting my mom to accept help was not simple. I called upon Trudy again and told her that I had followed her advice but now needed more advice. Trudy had a group of associates in her office for a weekly meeting when I phoned, however she gave me her full attention and asked for some time to come up with a plan. She started by speaking with the ComforCare staff to find out exactly how mom was reacting to a new person coming to her room. Then Trudy asked Hokey Wiley, the Assisted Living Director, to evaluate my mom. She asked that Hokey call me to share her findings. In addition, she made a phone call to Nancy Broadwell with the Alzheimer’s Association and suggested I use her as a resource.It has taken several weeks for my mom to allow a ComforCare employee to make sure she is remembering to take care of herself. However, having this extra help has let me stay in the daughter role. This has reduced strife in our relationship. I honestly don’t think without prompting from Trudy that I would have hired more help, feeling that I should be able to handle it. Now I am handling it with the help of a trained health care worker."
Ms. Nancy Serozi
Woodland Terrace's associates will be sharing some love from their kitchen at our Chili Cook-Off this Friday, November 5th from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM. Several of our staff memebers will be preparing their own award-winning chili recipes to be judged by the crowd! Feel free to invite a friend a RSVP by calling (919) 465-0356.

No comments:

Post a Comment